Pip Stewart on Creating a Lifestyle Career, and Making Social Media Work for You.
Ever wondered how to become a so-called “influencer”? The secret is storytelling.
In this episode, Ash interviews his friend and co-host, Pip Stewart.
Pip has cycled halfway around the world, embarked on a world-first kayak journey through the Amazon and survived a flesh-eating parasite. She talks about how she accidentally fell into a career in travel journalism, how one massive adventure changed her life, and why she sees social media as the route to editorial independence.
In this episode, discover:
- Why you need to embrace being shit.
- If it’s important to get a journalism degree.
- Why hustle is key.
- Why social media is so powerful (and how to avoid its dark side).
- How Pip got a job as Red Bull’s Adventure Editor.
- How to get noticed in a crowded media world.
- How to create a lifestyle career that works for you.
- Why you should take online relationships offline.
- How to deal with your ego.
- How to become an influencer.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Pip Website https://www.phillippastewart.com
- Pip Instagram https://www.instagram.com/pipstewart/
- Pip Twitter https://twitter.com/Stewart_Pip
- Jo Cantello, Wolfsong media
- Journalism and Media Studies Centre, The University of Hong Kong https://jmsc.hku.hk
- Elizabeth Gilbert on following your curiosity.
- Reza Pakravan https://www.rezapakravan.com
- Explorers Connect https://www.explorersconnect.com
- Ness Knight http://www.nessknight.com
- Laura Bingham https://www.laurabingham.org
- RedBull.com https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/
- Preview app https://thepreviewapp.com
- Inshot http://www.inshot.com
JOIN US ON SOCIAL:
We’d love to hear what you think of this week’s The First Mile and if you’ve got any suggestions of topics or people you’d like to hear interviewed. Drop us a line on Instagram @AshBhardwaj and @PipStewart or Twitter @AshBhardwaj and @PipStewart.
*Please consider leaving a review if you enjoyed this episode. Thank you!